I've been doing it for over 10 years now. Every year I'm getting better at it and I have noticed how much impact it has on my direction and in accelerating my growth as a woman and as an entrepreneur. Giving my dreams a visual form helps me to create the awesome life I really want.
Building a vision board is a great way to manifest the kind of life you want and to define what is important to you. And it's not just about dreaming big, the idea of the vision board is that it actually starts shaping our actions.
In January 2016 I chose a powerful statement on my board (see above), I placed a TED talk prominently in the middle. (Isn't it scary to announce these bold dreams?!)
I always stick the board on the wall in front of my desk in the office. After looking at my new board for a couple of days in the early days of January I started thinking to myself:
"Well Miisa, you've put this TED thing here. I know you said it will be a vision for kinda 10 years, but how about starting some small steps right now..."
You see, if I put something on my vision board, it's not just some fancy decoration, it's there to inspire action.
I signed up to a public speaking course with the fabulous Emma and Deon, and I came up with an idea for our first big DrivenWoman seminar, Festival Of Doers. Yes, I will also be speaking there!
When I created that board, in my mind my TED talk was going be in 10 years. There's no need to take too much pressure from your own dreams. But after less than one year of practising and getting used to my dream I'm ready to really push the boat out next year. Starting with Festival Of Doers I'm ready for the bigger arenas. (Oh yeah baby!)
I'm ready, thanks to my vision board.
Wish me luck though!
Here's some practical tips so you can create your own vision board to inspire action.
How to create a vision board to accelerate success and personal growth
1) Collect a pile of different types of magazines (women's mags, sailing, food, travel, tech, gossip, business..)
2) Buy a roll of drawing paper (IKEA has them), scissors and glue stick
3) Invite 5 of your best friends over for an evening
4) Leaf through one magazine at a time and rip out pages that appeal to you. Don't be too analytical. Let your soul do the work!
5) Once you have a good pile of images and text (you can also put sentences on your board) cut them neatly with scissors.
6) Cut a long piece of paper out of your roll and glue your images on the board. You can be as artistic as you like.
7) Choose three key words for your board. Those will be your core themes for the year ahead.
8) Present your board to your friends
9) Commit to 5 small action points you can take immediately (next day, following week) to manifest your commitment to your dreams.
10) Have fun with your vision and with your life!
And that's the power of our January exercise, it really boosts you up going into the New Year.
No more procrastination.
No more empty New Year's resolutions...
If you want to be part of DrivenWoman and join our visioning exercise in January, we recommend you get your Introduction session booked during 2016, there are still couple of sessions left. We are feeling festive (and generous) - use a code 'END2016' to get -50% off your Introduction ticket to the below sessions:
Monday 5.12. 6:45 pm - 9 pm in Soho - Tickets
Thursday 15.12. 6:45 pm - 9 pm in Shoreditch - Tickets
Wednesday 14.12. 6:45 pm - 9 pm - Tickets
Auckland, New Zealand
Saturday 3.12. 9.30 am - 12 noon - Tickets
Thursday 1.12. 6:45 pm - 9 pm - Tickets